In this exercise, I'd like you to select a book from the second half of the Official ENT 3003 Reading List and report on it. This part of the list focuses on books that cover, generally, entrepreneurship, business, and learning. I'd like you to address the following in your post:
1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
The primary general theme of this book is that humanity has indulged in watching an increasing amount of television on their free time for the first decade of the 20th century. This trend, however, has changed as for the first time since the release of television there is now a decreasing amount of people who watch television yearly. This major change is described as a positive one by the author as more time is diverted into interactive media and online activities. In this day and age, this is seen as a much more productive use of time compared to simply watching television for leisure.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
This book is connected with the class in quite a few ways actually. Having made the switch to using less television in exchange for interactive media, we are improving our productivity through online activities. Entrepreneurship opportunities exist a lot more online than on television, such as the creation of Wikipedia and other online sights.
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
If I were to design an exercise for the class based on the book, I would have all student reflect on what interactive media sources they use or online activities that they engage in. Then, I would have them think of a list of ten benefits of this interactive media or ten ways in which it connects to entrepreneurship.
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
The biggest 'aha' moment for me was when they brought up the fact that there is a general trend of decreasing television consumption in the world in exchange for a higher indulgence in interactive media. This is definitely something I learned that differed from my expection since I expected television consumption to be rather increasing over the years with all these new shows coming out.
Hi Sam,
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like an interesting book with a great theme, I think you did a wonderful job analyzing it. Nice connection from the book to the class, I think you made a clear recognition of how the message relates to what we have been learning. I think your exercise would serve to further deepen the understanding of the message. Interesting 'aha' moment, it was interesting to read about.
Best,
Reed Blevins